Where is Kangaroo Island?
Kangaroo Island is approximately 110 km south of Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia. The island is 18 km from the Fleurieu Peninsula on mainland South Australia.
35°S latitude, approximately the same latitude as Batemans Bay, NSW (south of Sydney).
Why should I visit Kangaroo Island?
Discover this magical island that supports a variety of indigenous wildlife including kangaroos, koalas, wallabies, penguins and the rare Australian sea lions. Explore the scenic wonders of Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and Seal Bay. Enjoy island life with its clean safe beaches, fresh air and clear skies, all contributing to a solitary retreat and getaway. Relax in the peace and tranquillity of Kangaroo Island's temperate climate.
Experience an environment that has been protected from introduced predators, and where the protection of the native flora and fauna is an important part of the island's conservation strategy.
How do I get to Kangaroo Island?
Take a 25 minute flight with REX (Regional Express), or a 2.5 hour coach / ferry connection with Kangaroo Island Sealink.
How much time should I spend on Kangaroo Island?
Two to three days is ideal. Kangaroo Island is 155 km (96 miles) long and 55 km (34.5 miles) wide, and has many wonderful attractions. One day tours are available, and while they provide you with a taste, there is so much more to discover.
What will I hope to see on Kangaroo Island?
- Seal Bay, home to a South Australian sea lion colony
- Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch
- Flinders Chase National Park
- Diverse Australian animals and birdlife
- Rugged coastal scenery
- Seasonal wildflowers
- A variety of native plant life
- Pristine island environment
- Clean beaches and waterways
- Farmlands of merino sheep and beef cattle
- Flourishing food, wine and produce industries
Where can I stay?
You have the option of three tiers of accommodation at quality accommodation properties on Kangaroo Island. Our partner properties include boutique Bed & Breakfast retreats and country Hotels/Motels. We recommend Bed & Breakfast retreats for those looking for an intimate, quality experience or a Hotel/Motel for the more independent or budget conscious.
What accommodation choices are available?
Standard Accommodation - Includes standard hotel/motel accommodation at the Aurora Ozone Hotel or the Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn at Kingscote including continental breakfast.
Executive Accommodation - Executive hotel/motel accommodation at the Aurora Ozone Hotel, Kingscote, Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge or Wanderer’s Rest of Kangaroo Island at American River including continental breakfast.
Boutique Bed & Breakfast Accommodation - Hosted Bed & Breakfast accommodation at Stranraer Homestead or The Lookout including dinner and a full cooked breakfast.
What is included in a tour with Kangaroo Island Odysseys?
- Small group tours or private touring if required
- Luxury air-conditioned 4-wheel drive (4x4) vehicles with private tour guide / driver for each vehicle
- Specialist guide available as required e.g. ornithologist, zoologist, botanist, wildlife photographer
- Gourmet style picnic lunches with complimentary South Australian wine in a natural Australian bush setting
- Morning or afternoon tea
- Accommodation as selected by you - standard, executive or bed & breakfast retreat
- Wildlife viewing experiences with time and flexibility allowed in the itinerary to suit interests of guests
- All airport and ferry terminal on-island transfers
- Entrance fees to national parks and private properties
Can a Kangaroo Island Odysseys' package be booked using this website?
We have recently upgraded our website and we are in the process of updating our booking engine to allow online bookings in the near future. Please enquire about your desired tour using the enquiry form on each tour page.
Visit our tours page here to view tours and enquire.
What should I bring?
- Luggage limit 15kg or overnight bag
- Your camera or video camera with spare batteries
- Comfortable walking shoes and clothing for outdoor activities, warm jacket and rainproof jacket (essential in cooler months)
- Good sense of adventure
Where can I find out more about Kangaroo Island?
There are some great websites that are excellent resources for Kangaroo Island
Tourism Kangaroo Island - the official website of Kangaroo Island www.tourkangarooisland.com.au
South Australian Tourism Commission www.southaustralia.com/regions/kangaroo-island.aspx
SeaLink Kangaroo Island - Kangaroo Island's largest tourism operator, offering loads of information about Kangaroo Island www.sealink.com.au
National Parks South Australia www.environment.sa.gov.au